Undoubtedly, today the palace is one of the popular tourist spots in Germany. The palace holds a piece of tale after it. According to the story, the Neuschwanstein was opened for public 7-weeks after King Ludwig II death in 1886.
King constructed the palace to withdraw himself from public life. After shy king’s death the castle was opened to a vast number of public. Today, around 1.4 million people visit the castle every year. The Castle is a fairy tale of King, in summer around 6000 visitors visit the place and is single inhabitant. Its ambience is more idyllic, also the area should be continuously monitored as the sheer rocks must be secured enough. The changing climate too affects the limestone walls, which were renovated over years.
History of the Castle
The construction of the palace started in the year 1868, 8-meters outcrop were removed to construct the foundation. In 1869, new access road was constructed. The stone for the foundation was laid on 5th September in the year 1869. The portraits of Ludwig II, coins were greatest processions in harmony of tradition established by Ludwig I. The techniques and material used for construction were all modern.
Gateway building was first completed on 11 June in the year 1872, which was completed and ready for possession by 1873. The upper floor was used for interim accommodation at the time when he visited the site. Building of Pallas began in the year 1872, it was constructed using all latest techniques and technology, the large Throne Hall was specially requested by King. Ludwig II as only able to see new castle as a building site, Square Tower, Bower and original building.
The Castle consist of:
- Staircase tower
- Lower Courtyard – Knight House
- Entrance Hall
- Square Tower – Bower
- Upper Courtyard – Connecting Tower
The Marienbrucke, bridge over Pollat gate is currently closed to tourist due to renovation. The renovation is expected to end by November 2015. Rest of palace area are accessible, only hiking trail through Pollate Gorge is closed for a short period of time. Ticket to the palace can be collected at the ticket-counter which is located in the village of Hohenschwangau.