The Jesuit Mission of Trinidad are one of the top archaeological ruins conserved till the present day. The Jesus De Tavarangue and Jesuit La Santisima Trinidad De Parana is located in Paraguay. Both the sites are assigned under the religious mission to preserve as it was founded by Jesuit Missionaries in 17th century during colonization. To take a note of the place, the religious missions were developed for 150-years in 1609.
Both the Jesuit Mission of La Santisima Trindad De Parana and Jesus De Tavarangue two colonies established in 17th and 18th century established under Jesuit missionaries are declared as a World heritage site by UNESCO. The site was developed as miniature cities which were then integrated.
About the Archaeological site
The mission behind the Trinidad was to construct a complete sufficient city with a meeting plaza at centre, schools, several workshops, meeting house, church, museum and housing for native Indian populations. While, the mission of Jesus De Tavarangue was created in 1685.
Before 1993, ICOMOS counselled the government of the Paraguayan government to turn the existing site into Jesuit Missions of Guaranis. Later, by 1985 Argentina and Brazil set-up the WHS. Paraguay was not eligible to submit the WHS proposals. But after years, in 1993 the proposal of Paraguay of WHS was approved.
Paraguay was discovered by Aleixo Garcia in 1524. The development of the site in social, economic and political matter was slow in the process. The place was then damaged under conflicts of armed natives, Spanish conquerors. Spanish conquerors fought to preserve their territory. By 1590, 10-cities and 40-colonies were founded in South America.
The Spanish King ruled the place, and tried to improve quality of life by making some declarations for their protection. It was a bit difficult to make a real system which need to be implemented and obeyed. The system called as ‘Encomienda’ gave space to many insurrections of natives.
After the missions, Jesuit arrived in Tucuman in the year 1586 and 1587, under request of Alonso Guerra of Asuncion’s Bishop.
Jesus De Tavarangue Ruins
This was the church that was built in the period when Jesuits were excluded from Rio De La Plata Province. The church is one of the biggest with 70-meter central structure and 24-meters wide. The church is known as a replica of the church of Loyola, Italy. The structure is considered as significant edification and also declared as Cultural Patrimony of Humankind by UNESCO.